My great-great-grandparents decided at one point to leave the Old continent, and their home Somcuta Mare (near Baia Mare), and take a trip to the New World across the pond...
They finally arrived in America in different trips:
- My great-great grandfather (Kaffay Ianos) took the trip on the S.S. Pennsylvania sailing from "Hamburg on the 4th April 1913" arriving at the "Port of New York on the 14th of April 1913".
- and my great-great grandmother (Kaffay Irene) together with their daughter - my great grandmother (Kaffay Helen) arrived on the S.S. Pannonia Sailing from "Fiume on the 19th of July 1913" arriving at the port of "New York on the 8th of August 1913".
After that they moved to New Jersey / Trenton, where I found them in the 1920 City Directory (from the trentonhistory.org site).
An short excerpt here:
- Kafes Margaret, teacher, res 22 Wayne av
- Kafes Mina, grocer, 531 Princeton av, h do
- Kaffay Helen, saleslady, res 235 Genesee
- Kaffay Irene, rubberworker, res 235 Genesee
- Kaffay John, rubberworker, res 235 Genesee
- Kagel Albert, rubberworker, h 903 N Willow
Conclusion: ain't the internet nice, you can find mostly anything online...
#2 Conclusion: too bad they decided to return to Romania ;), but I guess things would have changed a lot if they didn't .. (I wouldn't probably be writing this..)